There are a total of 28 obtainable disguises. They are used during quests to blend in around certain groups of enemies and all of them have a Level requirement of 1. These should not be confused with costumes, which do not use an equipment slot. They are purely cosmetic and wearing them will not affect your current gear's stats. Some of them have randomized facial hair, adornments, or equipment every time you enter a new zone, and some disguises are only obtainable during a quest, which means you can never get them again once you've completed it. Costumes used to take up the same equipment slot as disguises, but have since been moved to the Collections tab.
While in disguise, you will not be attacked by certain enemies who would normally be hostile. You will see a stealth icon in the center of the screen, just like you see while sneaking. Sneaking is not actually possible wearing a disguise - attempting to do so will bring up a warning: "Sneaking would arouse suspicion".
There will often be more alert enemies who can see through your disguise and alert their compatriots. You can identify them by the red glow around them, while other enemies will have a yellow glow. If they are humanoid, they will also generally be carrying a torch. Non-humanoid enemies such as dogs or wolves are almost always immune to disguises. If you get near them, you will see a glowing red eye above their head indicating that they are suspicious. Running away and getting out of their line of sight will usually keep them from pursuing.
If you are caught, or if you initiate an attack on any hostile or non-hostile enemy, the disguise will be removed from your inventory. (You can usually find another the same way you found the first.) Quest-specific disguises are generally removed from your inventory when you complete the part of the quest requiring them, but if you remove the disguise manually, you may keep it to use at any time. Note that most disguises will not function outside of the quest for which they are intended, even if you encounter other enemies of the same faction elsewhere. However, disguises can continue to be used in a similar way to Costumes in order to alter your appearance once their quest is finished. Note that, if you are wearing a disguise for its appearance and re-enter its associated quest area, you may lose it if you enter combat, and be unable to reacquire it.
All disguises are bound to your account and cannot be traded to other players. It is not possible to have multiple copies of the same disguise, even in your bank.
Aldmeri Dominion DisguisesEdit
- Colovian Uniform
- Zone: Reaper's March
- Area: Arenthia
- Quest: The Colovian Occupation
- Method: Looted from the Highland Archer's corpse near Cariel. Found in chests in several houses in Arenthia's Tower district.
Hollow Moon GarbEdit
- Hollow Moon Garb
- Zone: Grahtwood
- Area: Redfur Trading Post
- Quest: Flipping the Coin
- Method: No longer obtainable after patch 1.6. You used to be able to receive it from Fadi.
- Kollopi Essence
- Zone: Greenshade
- Area: Outside around Gurzag's Mine
- Quest: Frighten the Fearsome (optional)
- Method: Loot Kollopi Trees
Note: The Kollopi Essence disguise cannot be used in PvP zones.
Phaer Mercenary DisguiseEdit
Quendeluun Veiled Heritance DisguiseEdit
- Quendeluun Veiled Heritance Disguise
- Zone: Auridon
- Area: Quendeluun
- Quest: The Veiled Choice
- Method: ?
Sea Viper ArmorEdit
- Sea Viper Armor
- Zone: Greenshade
- Area: Seaside Sanctuary
- Quest: A Storm Upon the Shore (optional)
- Method: Take Larnil's Armor or Loot Sea Viper Armor Baskets around Seaside Sanctuary.
Steel Shrike UniformEdit
- Steel Shrike Uniform
- Zone: Malabal Tor
- Area: Fuller's Break
- Quest: Raise the Curtain (optional)
- Method: Kill Steel Shrikes
Vulkhel Guard Marine DisguiseEdit
Daggerfall Covenant DisguisesEdit
- Bloodthorn Disguise
- Zone: Betnikh
- Area: Grimfield
- Quest: Unearthing the Past (optional)
- Method: Kill Bloodthorn Cultists
Hallin's Stand Seventh Legion DisguiseEdit
- Hallin's Stand Seventh Legion Disguise
- Zone: Bangkorai
- Area: Hallin's Stand
- Quest: Hallin's Burden (optional); The Lion's Den (optional)
- Method: Found in baskets labeled "Laundry" throughout the city.
- Imperial Disguise
- Zone: Alik'r Desert
- Area: Satakalaam
- Quest: Imperial Incursion (optional)
- Method: Given to you by General Thoda; Killing Imperials (if you've completed the quest and they are gone, check surrounding houses)[verification needed]
Midnight Union DisguiseEdit
- Midnight Union Disguise
- Zone: Stormhaven
- Area: Farangel's Landing
- Quest: A Ransom for Miranda (optional)
- Method: Kill Midnight Union members
- Pirate Disguise
- Zone: Bangkorai
- Area: Blackheart Haven Group Dungeon
- Quest: Jumping Ship (optional)
- Method: Loot from the bin near the start of the dungeon
Red Rook DisguiseEdit
- Red Rook Disguise
- Zone: Glenumbra
- Area: Red Rook Camp
- Quest: Farlivere's Gambit (optional)
- Method: Kill Red Rook Bandits
- Seadrake Disguise
- Zone: Stros M'Kai
- Area: Saintsport
- Quest: Like Moths to a Candle (optional)
- Method: Kill Sea Drakes
Ebonheart Pact DisguisesEdit
Dunmer Cultural GarbEdit
- Dunmer Cultural Garb
- Zone: Eastmarch
- Area: Windhelm
- Quest: Party Planning (optional)
- Method: Recover it from a haystack in the building northwest of the bank.
Fort Amol Guard DisguiseEdit
- Fort Amol Guard Disguise
- Zone: Eastmarch
- Area: Fort Amol
- Quest: Sleeping on the Job
- Method: Strip Sentry Thod of his armor while he is sleeping. Also found in Foot Locker inside Barracks.
Frostedge Bandit DisguiseEdit
- Frostedge Bandit Disguise
- Zone: Bleakrock Isle
- Area: Hozzin's Folly
- Quest: Hozzin's Folly
- Method: Loot the dead bandit behind Sergeant Seyne or kill other Frostedge Bandits
- Keeper's Garb
- Zone: Shadowfen
- Area: Hatching Pools
- Quest: Keepers of the Shell (optional)
- Method: Loot the chest behind Vicecanon Servyna or other Ceremonial Chests around the Hatching Pools
- Northwind Disguise
- Zone: The Rift
- Area: Northwind Mine
- Quest: Scouting the Mine
- Method: Given by Tovisa or killing Stonetalon clansmen in the area.
- Shadowsilk Gem
- Zone: Stonefalls
- Area: Ashen Road Wayshrine
- Quest: A Goblin's Affection
- Method: Talk to Valdam Andoren
- Servant's Outfit
- Zone: Hew's Bane
- Area: No Shira Citadel
- Quest: The Long Game (optional)
- Method: Part of the quest, but can also be looted a basket near the entrance of No Shira Citadel
Sapphire Society DisguiseEdit
- Sapphire Society Disguise
- Zone: Western Skyrim
- Area: Bards College
- Quest: Orchestrations
- Method: Part of the quest. Cannot be taken on or off through conventional means, you put it on via an activation prompt an cannot have it in your inventory. It qualifies as a quest item.
This disguise allows you to temporarily conceal your Bounty status from Guards. This means you can walk freely among guards and even interact with items with no risk of being arrested. This can be particularity useful for characters who are fugitives, as it allows them to interact with merchants. Normally, merchants will not speak or interact with fugitives. The disguise disappears after 5 minutes, if you witnessed committing a crime, if the disguise is unequipped or if the you die.
- Monk's Disguise
- Zone: N/A
- Area: N/A
- Quest: N/A