Oblivion talk:Soul Gem
- 1 Where Can I Find One?
- 2 Adding picture(s)?
- 3 Lesser soul gems being automatically created
- 4 Soul Gems restocking
- 5 Not supposed to be a lot of Soul Gems?
- 6 Soul Gems & Souls and the effect of their grades on prices
- 7 Glowing Soul Gems...?
- 8 Soul Values
- 9 Where to fill grand soul gems?
- 10 special soul gem
- 11 Bigger souls and soul gems?
- 12 List of vendors
- 13 Help
- 14 Souls
- 15 Different filled Grand Soul Gem?
- 16 Filling souls don't stack up
- 17 Lost all my Grand Soul Gems
- 18 grand soul gems
- 19 Move?
- 20 Drop gem, lose soul
Where Can I Find One?
- If you don't mind (possibly) stealing, there is a filled Grand Soul Gem in the main lobby of the Arcane University. It's in a display case. If you are in the Mage's Guild, I believe most, if not all, the Mage's Guild shops have an empty Grand Soul Gem for sale. You can also find them randomly in the world, depending on your level. --Darkle ~ Talk 17:56, 25 February 2009 (EST)
- You can find some in this Ayleid ruin. They are not random (I think) so they'll always be there (they're in the last room). If you don't want to meet all the Daedra, there's a secret entrance that leads directly into the last room (if you're looking for empty Grand Soul Gems for Vaermina's Daedric quest, don't go to Ceyatatar since the soul gems there are already filled). Update: Good news! You don't even need to be a member of the Mages Guild to buy an empty Grand Soul Gem; I bought mine in Cheydinhal Mages Guild. SwedishBerzerker at youtube.com 07:49, 21 March 2009 (EDT)
Just wanted to note that there are no pictures of soul gems on this page, let alone one of each type. Chunk of Ham 03:53, 22 March 2009 (EDT)
- Done. Although since four of the five types share the same model, it's not as interesting as you might expect. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 03:24, 23 March 2009 (EDT)
Lesser soul gems being automatically created
every time I put a filled lesser soul gem it creates an equal amount of empty lesser soul gems not sure what mod or patch is causing this. It seems to make it so if I have 25 full soul gems then when 2 go in it makes up the difference and so I have 27 empty lesser gems regardless how many empty ones are in there Mrp8196 04:35, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
Soul Gems restocking
Should I put something in on this page about soul gems restocking, since right now it looks like the only place to find this is on the Soul Trap page ? — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) on 16 September 2009
- Good idea, the article could benefit from a Acquiring Soul Gems sections. It would be best to give general tips on the acquisition of the gems (especially the higher qualities) instead of a long list of locations. Such lists already exist, but it would be a good idea to link to them:
- --Timenn-<talk> 13:37, 17 September 2009 (UTC)
Not supposed to be a lot of Soul Gems?
I'm having a really hard time coming across these things. Are you not supposed to be able to enchant every item you want and it's intentional to be difficult to find Soul Gems? --DerSquirrel 07:01, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- As you can see above, a section detailing the good places to acquire Soul Gems would be a welcome addition to this article. Soul Gems are not as rare as you experience, but they can be a bit tricky to find if you don't know where to look. See the two links I've provided above for good places to start your search. --Timenn-<talk> 15:30, 12 November 2009 (UTC)
Soul Gems & Souls and the effect of their grades on prices
Anarchangel, before reverting again please read both the this article and the talk page. Timenn's request (4 months old) was for an "Acquiring Soul Gems" section and clearly NOT a list of merchants. Second, please see the paragraph after the table. It already contains the information you added with examples and in a much clearer and accurate form. rpeh •T•C•E• 05:17, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
- Four months and all we have is a list of merchants, and now you take that away.
- "Note: These IDs and values are set at the time you acquire a soul gem, and do not get changed when you fill the soul gem with a soul. In other words, if you pick up an empty grand soul gem, its value will be 200 gold. That value does not change when you fill it. Therefore, you can end up with grand soul gems containing grand souls with two different values, both 200 gold and 500 gold."
- "Soul gems found empty, whether as loot or bought from merchants, have a coin value which depends on the grade of soul gem, which does not change if the player later fills them with a soul. Merchant gems sold or found filled with a soul have a coin value which depends on the level of the soul within, regardless of the grade of gem. The coin values below are for soul gems sold and found filled; all gems filled by the player will sell for the 'Empty' value."
- The note is hidden under the table. There is no good reason for it not to be in the lede. The note is woefully incomplete; it gives no idea of what sets the the prices. It does not tell you that a soul gem bought filled will be more expensive than an empty one. It does not tell you that two gems of different grades bought filled with petty souls will cost the same. It does not explain the values shown in the table.
- I added new text once, and reverted once, and I have never reverted twice on any article on UESP. Let alone that entitling this section 'Latest Edit War' is a needlessly contentious framing of the subject, you reverted twice, and have even less reason to do so, unless you are describing your own behaviour. I have changed it accordingly. Anarchangel 00:27, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- Soul Trap does not change the value on empty found gems
- Soul Trap does not change the value on empty bought gems
- The price of empty gems, bought or found, depends on the grade of the gem
- The price of gems found or bought full depends on the grade of the soul
My text includes all four points. The current, original text contains only the first. Anarchangel 16:25, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- "Acquire" means that it counts for both buying and finding the item. No item value changes in the game depending on whether you picked it up, or bought it. There's no need to make that division here.
- Points 3 & 4 can easily be deduced in the table itself. We provide the facts, and the reader can make their own interpretation. This is especially true for interpretations that differ per reader looking at the given facts. --Timenn-<talk> 11:53, 29 January 2010 (UTC)
- To be deduced it must be a fact. Elaboration is not interpretation. 'Easily' is. Anarchangel 22:09, 13 February 2010 (UTC)
Glowing Soul Gems...?
it says on the page that all bet petty soul gems share the same model... I seem to remember haveing my empty gems dark blue and filled ones a glowing light blue... can someone confirm this? Wurm 21:04, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- Filled and Empty gems do have different images in your inventory, but if you were to see them laying around they would be identical. Melleh17 21:58, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- ah, ok. yep, just checked, they are faceing different ways. and blue when filled. Wurm 17:49, 24 April 2010 (UTC)
I would like to have a list of creatures with certain soul values. I seem to be having trouble finding things with which to fill my Azura's Star. I've been stuck using NPC's and filling Black Soul Gems, but Azura's Star doesn't take NPC souls.
Also, just some friendly advice, if you enchant a weapon, whatever you enchant it with, add Soul Trap with a time of 1. My favorite was doing Soul Trap 1 and Health Drain with a magnitude of 100 for 1. I would successfully Soul Trap something whenever I hit it. Especially if I got the 6X damage bonus for sneaking. If you have Azura's Star, then you can use the soul you just trapped to refill your weapon over and over again, no matter how weak the soul was. Just refill it right after trapping, so Azura's Star is open for the next soul.— Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) on 25 August 2010
Thank you, Nephele. That was very helpful. (I would also like to compliment you on your name)
Where to fill grand soul gems?
- Try Dive Rock. The Uderfrykte Matron always gives a Grand soul. – Robin Hood↝talk 00:17, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
special soul gem
there are how many soul gem beside the common and the black one,I find these ,Hermaeus Mora's soul gem, azura's star, Collosal Black Soul Gem, Chim-el Adabal(the one inside the amulet of king), Soul Tomato in the shivering isle, mannimarco 's scarab, soul gem that contain Prince A'tor's soul
some of them i dont they are like soul gem or not Mantella, Heart of Lorkhan (Vvardfell 14:06, 6 November 2010 (UTC))
Bigger souls and soul gems?
Is there a way to format the creatures and soul gems so that they have a bigger capacity so that you can make ultra-epic items?Iron ultima 21:39, 18 January 2011 (UTC)Iron Ultima
- No, unfortunately the highest attainable soul gem value is 1600 for a grand soul or an NPC soul (in a black soul gem). The only magical items you can find with a charge higher than 1600 are the ones that are provided in game; you're limited to 1600 when enchanting. Facebag 03:45, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
List of vendors
Would this page be the right place to list all the soul gem vendors? I've made a list from the CS but am not sure where to put it, or even if it's something that belongs in the wiki. I've also made a list of places where grand soul gems can be found but I have no idea where that would be best placed (if at all). Foubister 03:22, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- I'm not sure it's really necessary. "They can be bought at most magical and alchemical shops" covers it pretty well. Ditto with Grand Soul Gems. We list guaranteed soul gems on the one quest that needs them. rpeh •T•C•E• 09:10, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- I was thinking that line might be a bit too vague but I tend to be a bit anal about details so you're probably right. With that list of guaranteed soul gems, a person would have to know that that quest requires them in order to think of looking there. When I first found it, it was only because I had stumbled upon it while looking for something else to do with the quest. I've been thinking about it and perhaps moving the list to this page and having a line such as "For a list of grand soul gems that are guaranteed at specific locations, go here." (or something similar) and have "here" take you to this page. That seems more logical to me but, I could be being anal again. ;) Foubister 08:08, 6 February 2011 (UTC)
- I know what you mean, but the thing is that three of the guaranteed soul gems are specific to that quest. Mentioning them here seems wrong, and splitting the list over two pages also seems wrong. The least evil is to mention them on that quest page. Since there are so few, I'm not sure it's worth listing them here. rpeh •T•C•E• 16:36, 6 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ah, good point. And having a line on this page directing to that quest page would be wrong since it would only be about grand soul gems. One would have to create a whole seperate page and list all of the guaranteed sould gems. Definately not worth it. You're absolutely right, thanks for the input. :) Foubister 04:22, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
What to do with empty soul gems?? I can't enchanting with empty. Sorry for my English. (Sexydjole 19:44, 11 April 2011 (UTC))
- As it says on the page: "Soul Gems are miscellaneous items which can be used to trap the souls of dying creatures or NPCs." You need to trap the souls in them with a Soul Trap spell first. --DKong27 Talk Cont 19:50, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
How do you do that tho? I know Oblivion is an old game but is there any youtube vids that show exactly what needs to be done?
- Example: i used the soul trap spell on a monster and it doesnt kill it and my soul gemms stay empty..
- How do you know what monster goes into what soul gem? (SterkSiebel)
- The Soul Trap spell itself will not kill someone. You need to kill the creature within the duration of the Soul Trap spell to get the soul in a soul gem. Another thing any creature will go in any soul gem. The souls are all the same 'type' the only difference is the size. Use the page mentioned by Rpeh to find the correct size of soul gem for each creature. Hope this helps -- Thanks --KizC ·•· Talk ·•· Contribs ·•· Mail ·•· 17:09, 24 August 2011 (UTC)
Is there enough information for a lore:soul article? There's information about soul gems and such but little information on the souls themselves. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) on 7 June 2011
- I'm not sure what it would say. There's a little information already on the Mysticism (skill) page - maybe that could be expanded, but I'm not sure how. rpeh •T•C•E• 14:49, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
- Since Mysticism has apparently "died out" in time for Skyrim, I think it would be smart to move the subject of souls onto a more neutral article. There it could go into detail on the different schools which can be used to trap them (that is, if the spell is even present in Skyrim), information on souls themselves and what little we know about the gems (black gems created by the God of Worms blocking Arkay, soul tomato maybe being an example of a mundane object enchanted to hold a soul, differences throughout the games, Azura's Star, etc). Maybe there will be some more revelations in Skyrim on the subject of dragon souls being absorbed. Legoless 15:51, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
Different filled Grand Soul Gem?
I play on XBOX 360 have all updates and downloads possible. What I noticed is that when I fill up a grand soul gem myself to get a grand soul, that soul gem acts just like black soul gems. If I try to dupe it using scroll glitch, 2 things happen: 1) The grand soul gem will dupe to what I want but will get rid of the soul inside and become empty again, or 2) I won't get much duped and then the gems refuse to "stack" with each other and if you try to pick it up out of your inventory they just all collapse to the ground so instead of carrying a full stack of 12, 11 fall to the ground.
Also the gem I filled myself has the same inventory icon as a empty grand soul gem.
However when I buy a grand soul gem with a grand soul I'm able to dupe with the soul inside and I don't have the issues such as those I have stated above.--Unokitsune 09:02, 8 November 2011 (UTC)
Filling souls don't stack up
I'm playing Oblivion for the first time (first TES game as well, so if this is something I shouldve learned in TES3 or something, I missed it), but it took me a long, long time to figure out that apparently you can't stack up souls in a gem. It would be nice if that was made clear in the article. By "stacking", I mean doing something like instead of trapping one greater soul, attempting to trap multiple lesser souls, and having them all go into the soul gem, building up the value of the soul-charge the gem holds. After playing with it and being quite frustrated with the mechanic so far, I've finally realized that each one can only hold one single soul, so ending up with a petty soul in my Azura's Star or a greater/grand soul gem is a pretty big waste. That information isn't really made explicitly clear within the article.
184.108.40.206 08:24, 27 December 2011 (UTC)
Lost all my Grand Soul Gems
I put my Grand Soul Gems in a house and they are all gone now. What do i do to get them back. Plus i put my armor and other stuff there and it is all gone too.
Im playing The Elder Scroll IV : Oblivion. on PS3
- Was that in your own house or a random house?The purchasable houses all have completely safe chests, but in other houses, not all the chests are safe. You must have put them into a chest that wasn't safe and it emptied the contents. Its normal, and since you are on a PlayStation, you can't do anything except reload an older save and not put them in that chest. ESQuestion?•Email•Contribs 22:48, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
grand soul gems
where can i find 5 empty grand soul gems i need them for curing vampirism quest The Tamrielic Emperor 18:38, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
Can we move and/or redirect to "Oblivion:Soul Gems"? It's pluralized in the Morrowind and Skyrim namespaces, and it would help keep links simple in the lore section. Minor EditsThreats•Evidence 23:10, 1 July 2013 (GMT)
Drop gem, lose soul
- I already tried that, over and over. It doesn't seem to work in Oblivion. That's what brought me to this talk page - looking for another way to empty a soul gem. 220.127.116.11 02:21, 11 January 2016 (UTC)
- There are a couple of ways to empty soul gems that you've filled yourself. This does not work on soul gems that already come with souls when you purchase or find them. I've found this most useful for grand soul gems I've accidentally filled with smaller souls. The first way is to sell them to a vendor and buy them back, which works best for vendors with a very low Mercantile skill, like Aurelinwae. The second way, when it comes to the 200 gp grand soul gems, is to convert them to black soul gems. Hope this helps. FrozenWolf150 (talk) 13:29, 21 January 2018 (UTC)