Oblivion talk:Arcane University
There are several vendors within the grounds of the university. Raminus in the lobby, and two guys in the Prax sell spells. There's an alchemy vendor in the Lust also. Quillan 20:05, 26 April 2006 (EDT)
- 1 Storage problem..
- 2 Removed Comment
- 3 NPC stuck in stairs?
- 4 slight glitch with the imperial battlemage quarters?
- 5 Orrery
- 6 non-mages guild npcs?
- 7 Necromancers & others stored in various containers (Chironasium)
- 8 Automatic closing gates
- 9 Helpfull Hint
- 10 Battlemage attacks Mage Apprentices
- 11 Removed from main page - please discuss
- 12 Free Beds in the Mage Quarters
- 13 Talking Mage
- 14 Annoying Problem
- 15 Not able to enchant?
My main character recently became Archmage, and I have taken up the Archmages's Quarters as a base of operations.. As such, I stored all of my most priceless treasures in the drawers at the end of the bed, only taking the necessities with me during my travels. All was well, for a while, until I returned after a three-week excursion to pick up a certain staff I thought might be useful. However, upon opening the drawers, I was horrified to discover all of my precious items had vanished. Any idea what might have caused this odd turn of events, so that I may avoid this problem in the future? -Voldrek (terribly sorry if this is in the wrong place)
- Only one container in the Archmage quarters does not respawn. It is the nightstand table next to the bed. The one at the foot of the bed and the archmage's alchemy chest will respawn. The alchemy chest tends to erase anything left there for over a week anyways. Using those two containers is not adisable. Vesna 22:30, 26 July, 2007
- If you are using the PC version of the game, there may be some way of getting your things back by using the console, but I'm really not sure. You can look here for some safe (and free!) storage locations, and I believe there are others on that article's talk page. --Eshe 22:28, 26 July 2007 (EDT)
- Thanks for the help, both of you. Unfortunately, I have it for the PS3, so the only way for me to get those items back is to restart my game, which shouldn't be too hard. I made a few mistakes with this file early in the game anyways, so restarting it should be pretty beneficial. Thanks again. -Voldrek 22.214.171.124 11:08, 27 July 2007 (EDT)
I removed this from the main article because it's really not suited to that page. This sort of thing is more for Oblivion:Things to Do When You're Bored|Things to Do When You're Bored. --Rpeh•T•C•E• 07:16, 27 October 2007 (EDT)
- It is possible to make the university a battleground by hitting a Scholar or Aprrentice they will then start to attack you and a legion battlemage will atempt to arrest you resist arrest then yeild to the guild members who are attacking you when the battlemage next hits you the guild members should turn on him when they kill him all the battlemages will turn hostile to any Aprrentice or Scholar. As they both respawn occansionally when you enter the university you will hear some fighting going on. This is a great way to get the battlemages hoods and guild members enchanted daggers.
I replaced it with a better written example--Tyguy92 20:22, 28 December 2007 (EST)
NPC stuck in stairs?
- It happens. I usually end up with a guard stuck under the steps in the Arboretum. They don't do anything useful - it's just a silly glitch. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 14:50, 11 March 2008 (EDT)
slight glitch with the imperial battlemage quarters?
okay as you know the IBM quaters is marked as a tresspassing spot on the door but if you enter they will not arrest you and you can take everything if you want and you can sleep in the barraks. Is this just on my game? and If not should it be noted?--The Divine Crusader 22:25, 7 April 2008 (EDT)
Does anyone know what the point of this room is? I used a cheat to enter it and it was a huge room with an enlarged door and no furnishings, so, any advice would be appreciated. Jesus lover•T•C•E•JS• 21:44, 9 September 2008 (EDT)
- If you had, for example, used the search funtion, you would find there's a whole plugin related to it. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 01:08, 10 September 2008 (EDT)
non-mages guild npcs?
Anyone find it odd a few non-members of the Mages Guild seem to visit AND get inside the gates? Hagaer, Edgar Vautrine, and Calindil are the ones I've seen. --126.96.36.199 20:03, 20 April 2009 (EDT)
- Yes, strangely enough, Edgar can be found wandering there Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8pm and midnight; Calindil can be found there at the same times on weekends and Hagaer can be found there on week days from 10am until 4pm. Why they are there is up to their AIs, but I think that the lock on the gate might only apply to players. Hope that was helpful. --SerCenKing Talk 02:52, 21 April 2009 (EDT)
Necromancers & others stored in various containers (Chironasium)
Not sure if this is a glitch, lookin around the Chironasium I've found stored in some containers (pouches, torn sacks) Necromancers and other enemies! They don't weight anything and have no worth; once dropped they materialize and start fighting. Anyone experiencing the same? --Thrax 00:21, 29 June 2009 (UTC)
- Wow, that's odd. I know you posted this a long time ago, but I'll say it's never happened to me. --Oblivion nerd 14:41, 15 February 2010 (UTC)
- I also recognize that this is an old post, I'd just like to point out that even with mods, its unlikely. Mikeyboy52 06:52, 6 June 2010 (UTC)
Automatic closing gates
I do know that the gates on either side of the lobby close automatically, but is this based on time (i.e. x seconds after opening, they close) or distance you move away from them after they open? Mental Gear 12:59, 18 August 2009 (UTC)
- It's based on a timer, the time is 5 seconds after opening. --Timenn-<talk> 18:30, 18 August 2009 (UTC)
For all you assins out there or assin mages when you first start out the game you have on cuffs they dont way anything so go enchant them to doforst,fire, or lightning on self then pickpoket a npc then the next time the go to sleep thell put them on. Its also helpful for killing the cat mage in the dark brother hood because he want eat poisend appels— Unsigned comment by Allgreto (talk • contribs) at 20:41 on 24 August 2009
- This will not work on most NPCs as they would rather put on gauntlets than wrist irons, and it is much better to summon bound armour, repair and drop them to keep them permanent, do the enchantment, then reverse pickpocket them, as they have a much higher chance of being equipped, bound helms in particular. The wrist irons can also be enchanted to give yourself 50 extra magicka or another bonus with good sigil stones. This does not apply to mages in particular as any type of character has the same power for enchanting. While I'm here, will I fix your atrocious spelling too? Mental Gear 21:00, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
Battlemage attacks Mage Apprentices
In my game (unmoded), the batllemages have the tendency of attacking the nearest mage scholars on sight. It will be a mass massacre. It is fun to watch, however, the destruction can be severe. I tried to use kill and then ressurect, stopcombat in console, but that still doesn't stop the battlemages from initiating the attack. Any helpful suggestions?
- This appears to be old, but it also pertains to one I had on a game where they would sprint between the gates (apparently trying to get in). Either someone inside somehow stole something or assaulted them, or they were just randomly given a bounty. --Catmaniac66 01:59, 28 February 2010 (UTC)
- The same thing just happened to me, except the Mage Apprentice was OUTSIDE of the university's gates. BrenMan 94 10:11, 17 July 2010 (UTC)
- This happened to me when a guard chased me into the University for resisting arrest (I was rushing to create a charm spell :P). When the guard hit me everyone came to my defense; more guards poured in and all of the mages got bounties. Pez 20:58, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
Removed from main page - please discuss
I just cleaned up the notes-section of the main page and these tips are worthy of a discussion - and maybe even some in-game testing. Do we really want/need them on the page? Since I was the one who removed them, my stance should be pretty clear...
- With a high enough acrobatics skill, (approximately 200) it is possible (albeit difficult) to jump over the wall to the Arcane University. From the parapet adjoining the main wall, jump onto the side of the Arch-Mage's Lobby and into the niche closest to the main wall. Jump again onto the side of the wall and then once more, over the top of the wall. The fall damage may be considerable, especially to lower level characters.
- The paint brush glitch can also be exploited to gain access to the University.
- Keep in mind all the doors on the other side of the fence (in the University) are locked, and require a key to enter. They cannot be picked.
- The paint brush glitch can also be exploited to gain access to the University.
- If you are already in the University this is an optimal location for jumping behind the Imperial City without needing a high acrobatics enhancement. To jump behind the city do as follows.
- Position yourself right outside the Orrery building where the Alchemical gardens is located.
- Jump onto the top of the alchemical gardens Pergola, which is the stone thing surrounding the tree.
- From there jump on top of one of the buildings.
- Make your way to the University wall and jump over.
- --Krusty 10:08, 31 December 2009 (UTC)
- The second note, about getting behind the imperial city, seems more to belong on the Accessing_Places section. I'm not sure about the first note though; it seems like a simple enough note to let stay. But you're right, the two notes will need some testing to see if they should be kept at all. -- Jplatinum16 16:01, 1 January 2010 (UTC)
Free Beds in the Mage Quarters
It might be of interest: the beds in the Mage Quarters basement are available at midnight. Anyone looking to rest/level can do so then, on any day of the week.— Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) on 25 January 2010
This is strange all the apprentices well not talk to you and same for the conjuers but one conjuer well he is a high elf with a war style hair cut is he important to a quest or just a glitch? (Allgreto 02:03, 12 July 2010 (UTC))
- It is noted on the Mage Scholar page that one of the scholars will talk to you if your disposition with him is over 30, but he has no unique dialogue. Vesna 21:26, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
Its not a very big problem but a problem none the less. When i went to go to sleep in the mage quarters top floor i found some one in my bed well i killed him with my cursed bracers. But now his body well not go away like i said its not a very big problem but its getting rather annoying looking at it and every body always gets stuck on it got any ideas on how to get rid of it? (Allgreto 03:06, 24 August 2010 (UTC))
- If it's an unnamed apprentice or scholar, it'll vanish within three days. If not, it may be a quest item. In that case, use the Staff of Worms to take it to a rarely visited location. --Arch-Mage Matt Did I Do That? 04:55, 24 August 2010 (UTC)
- thanks ill just have to find another place to sleep for 3 days. how ironic Arch-mage Matt ha (Allgreto 11:50, 24 August 2010 (UTC))
Not able to enchant?
I made a mage character and immediately did all the mages guild quests before doing anything else. Before I became arch-mage I tried to enchant at Chironism but wasn't able to. I continued with the quests until I was arch-mage and then tried to use the enchanting stand and was still unable to enchant. This is extremely frustrating, what happened? Anastasia0812 (talk) 04:53, 20 June 2013 (GMT)