Welwa are great four-eyed pack hunting beasts, with thick pelts, tails, and savage teeth.
According to tapestries in the Crystal Tower, the early Aldmeri settlers of the Summerset Isles encountered welwa, depicted as strange, holy ravagers, and saviors of the land. Led by Torinaan, the Aldmer of Auridon drove them back using ancestral magics, and eventually the welwa of Summerset were driven to extinction. In Yokuda they were considered myths, and described in their ancient texts as having "the jaws of a bear, and the charging strength of a boar".
Welwa continued to inhabit the wilds of Craglorn on mainland Tamriel. They are often domesticated and armored by the Iron Orcs of the region, who use them as war beasts. History indicates that every pastoral society in Craglorn's long history: Nedes, Yokudans, Goblins, and Orcs has domesticated them at some point.
In the Second Era, the Sapiarchs of the Crystal Tower reintroduced welwa to Summerset Isle by bringing in mated pairs from Craglorn. These welwa quickly spread across the wilderness of Summerset, although many inhabitants of the Isle were displeased with their reintroduction.
Welwas of the Iron Orcs
- The Welwa mob was originated by user Allerleirauh, being introduced in the Twisted Tower campaign (that Ted Peterson participated in) as a nod to real world Romanian folklore. They were later canonized in the Summerset section of A Pocket Guide to the Empire: Third Edition.
- Welwa could be transformed into reptilian forms through Argonian rituals or exposure to special Hist sap.
- For game-specific information on Welwas, see the ESO article.
- Pocket Guide to the Empire
- The Lay of Firsthold
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: The Summerset Isles: Auridon — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Restoring the Welwas — Ambolisse, Sapiarch of Zoological Studies
- Abnab Correspondence's in ESO
- Longhair Welwa's description in ESO
- Sul-Xan Fleshripper in ESO
- Nagahide Welwa Ravager in ESO