Layout & GeographyEdit
Skaven is found in north-central Hammerfell near the Dragontail Mountains, where old Yokudan traditions continue to flourish by the Crowns. On the northern outskirts of Ska'vyn lies the Caverns of Wry, which contains herds of Skav Bats that are bred to produce dairy by the locals. Their signature Bat Cheese is supposedly paired well with Pomegranate wine. Skaven is neighbored by several settlements, including Cliff Keep to the east, Heldorn Mount to the northeast, and Verkarth City to the southwest.
Ska'vyn was active since at least the early-mid First Era, when it and the surrounding region was under the tyrannical reign of the unholy city-state, Verkarth and their legion, the Gray Host. The city had reportedly ruled over Hammerfell's east-central region for many years, between Elinhir to the east and Thorstad Place to the west. Their power had drawn the ire of Empress Hestra and her Empire, who took the initiative and moved west for conquest. The Empire had defeated the Gray Host at the gates of the Bangkorai Garrison, with the help of the cleric, Pelin. Ska'vyn was liberated from the vampires after Verkarth was completely razed by the Imperials. At some point in 2E 582, the Dragonstar Caravan Company, one of the largest trading companies at the time had moved their headquarters from Craglorn and into Ska'vyn.
During the Imperial Simulacrum in the late Third Era, the city-state of Skaven was an active settlement. It was ruled by Queen Mijurti and it had a rivalry with Dragonstar. During the Great War, the Imperial Legion, under General Decianus had a bloody skirmish with the Third Aldmeri Dominion outside of Skaven's wall, but the city was captured by the Aldmeri Dominion. However, Lady Arannelya's forces were unable to move out and continue their campaign. Before the general returned to the Imperial City in 4E 174, he discharged many soldiers that later formed the core of fighters that retook Skaven from the Dominion and drove Arannelya's force back across the Alik'r Desert.
- The First Ska'vyn Camel Scouts was a group that was active sometime in the Second Era. One of their flags was in circulation throughout Tamriel's underworld in 2E 582.
- The common rodent, Skavengers have a very similar name to the city, but whether they are connected is unknown.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Skaven's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Guards".[UOL 2]
- Proctor Finemo's dialogue and other sources in ESO
- Map of Hammerfell — The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- Map of West Tamriel — The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Ra Gada: Hammerfell — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- Lady Honnorah af-Lahreq Answers Your Questions — Lady Honnorah af-Lahreq
- Notes For Redguard History — Destri Melarg
- Skaven location and rumors in Arena
- The Gray Host: A History Part 1 — Lord Archibald Laurent, Lordly Explorer
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius
- Looted Redguard Battle Flag contraband text in ESO
Note: The following references are deemed to be unofficial sources. They are referenced to round off the information in this article and may not consist of definitive lore.