Skaven, also known as Ska'vyn, is one of the eight-major cities in the province of Hammerfell, situated in the Sunforge region near the Dragontail Mountains. The First Ska'vyn Camel Scouts and rodents known as Skavengers are named after the city. The Firedancers of central Hammerfell wear scandalously little clothing by local standards, which may be why they protect their modesty—and identities—by hiding their faces behind Flamebrow Fire Veils.
Layout & GeographyEdit
Skaven is found in north-central Hammerfell, near the Dragontail Mountains, in what is generally considered territory of the Crowns. On the northern outskirts of Ska'vyn lies the Caverns of Wry, which contains herds of Skav Bats, who are bred to produce dairy, specifically, Bat Cheese, which is supposedly paired well with Pomegranate wine. In the Skaven countryside lies the local Hall of Virtues of War, which were training halls for the Sword-singers of Hammerfell. Skaven is neighbored by several settlements, including Cliff Keep to the east, Heldorn Mount to the northeast, and Verkarth City to the southwest.
In the Second Era, the city had a Temple of the Divines dedicated to the Eight, and a tavern where curious figures such as nomadic Witchmen shamans would come to stay.[UOL 1] At some point in 2E 582, the Dragonstar Caravan Company, one of the largest trading companies at the time had moved their headquarters from Craglorn, and into Ska'vyn. During the Imperial Simulacrum in the late Third Era, the city-state of Skaven was an active settlement. It was ruled by Queen Mijurti and had a rivalry with Dragonstar. During the Great War, the Imperial Legion, under General Decianus had a bloody skirmish with the Third Aldmeri Dominion outside of Skaven's wall, which led to the city's capture by the Aldmeri Dominion. However, at this point, Arannelya's forces were unable to advance in their campaign. In 4E 174, General Decianus was forced to return to the Imperial City, but being unwilling to abandon Hammerfell, Decianus left behind "invalids", who were actually Imperial Legion veterans that were able to retake Skaven from the Dominion.
Skaven Pyromancer in Legends.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Skaven's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Guards".[UOL 2]
- Proctor Finemo's dialogue and other sources in ESO
- Map of Hammerfell — The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- Looted Redguard Battle Flag description
- Flamebrow Fire Veil item description
- Map of West Tamriel — The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Ra Gada: Hammerfell — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- Lady Honnorah af-Lahreq Answers Your Questions — Lady Honnorah af-Lahreq
- Notes For Redguard History — Destri Melarg
- Skaven location and rumors in Arena
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.