Shalks are large, occasionally aggressive beetles which attack by spitting fire. They also bite attackers with their sharp mandibles, and can pack a bit more power into the maneuver by producing flames as they bite. Despite the danger, they are herded by the Dunmer of Deshaan for their prized meat, resin, and carapaces. They are native to mainland Morrowind near the base of Ash Mountain, as well as Vvardenfell. They tend to congregate near lava.
Shalks possess flammable glands that can be used for arson. Their meat is edible, and can be used in stews. Shalk chitin can be ground up and used to make poultices that ease burn wounds.  Shalk resin has numerous alchemical properties,  A salve of shalk resin and crushed bergamot seeds is proven to repel parasites, such as toe-borers, grassfleas, and fleshbloats. Bloated shalks can somehow be milked to obtain a blue substance that is used in tattoo ink.
Shalk resins are the tough, soluble substances extracted from shalk hides. Shalk resins are used as glues and stiffeners in manufacturing bonemold and chitin armors, they can also be hardened to create a number of household objects. Shalk resin can also be used in alchemical formulas.
- Shalk abilities in The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: Stonefalls and Deshaan — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Oodegu's Journal—Keep Out! — Oodegu
- Eveline Vette's dialogue and the events of Season of Harvest in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Shalk Poultices quest item description in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Soft-Scale dialogue and the events of Proving Trust in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Shalk Resin's alchemical use in Morrowind
- Discomforts of War — Robier Douare, Alchemist
- "Shalk Blue" Tattoo Ink item description in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Shalk Resin in Morrowind
- Shalk-Resin Window Sundial item description in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Shalk-Resin Nail Trimmer item description in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Stonemelt Potion Recipe — Chief Urzikh