Netch (or netches) are large and generally peaceful creatures native to Morrowind that resemble airborne jellyfish with the size and disposition of cattle, floating through the air supported by internal sacks of magical gases. The barbs on a netch's tentacles contain active nematocysts, making them deadly if provoked. Adolescent netches are called calves or netchlings and resemble female ("betty") netches. Male ("bull") netches are larger than female ("betty") netches; the latter can be provoked into aggression more easily. They are usually peaceful but can be defensive of their territory, particularly during breeding season. When betty netches and calves feel threatened, they secrete pheromone oils that drive bull netches mad, turning them aggressive.
Netchimen take on the profession of domesticating netches. While feral betties usually keep a harem of several bulls, netchimen often keep the female-male ratio low for faster breeding. As netches are dangerous to harvest for even the most experienced netchimen, netch products are relatively scarce in comparison to others. Netch Leather is one of the main netch products. It has a powdery, velvet texture and is venomous to the touch. The venom from touching the leather results in a tingling sensation, but wearing armor made of netch leather leaves the wearer feeling exhilarated. Netch leather armor is said to be ideal for warriors who rely on mobility, and it is more durable and tougher than bear, mammoth, and other hides commonly used outside Morrowind, although it bends and flexes easily. It can be further strengthened by boiling it. A downside is that netch leather armor is relatively high maintenance, requiring that it be oiled and treated with dreugh wax weekly to keep it in its best condition. Netch meat contains toxins that makes the meat inedible. The jelly secreted from their carcasses contains a harmless toxin that paralyzes the nervous system, and is used as an alchemical ingredient. Netch hide can be made into elegant handkerchiefs.
Various netch breeds exist. The most common netch breed has a blue bioluminescence and can be found all over Morrowind. The mossy netch is green and can most commonly be found in the West Gash region of Vvardenfell. Rosy netches are red, and are native to the foyadas of the Molag Amur region of Vvardenfell.
Netches are related to the Swamp Jellies of Black Marsh. Some historians theorize that the relation may be a result of the Dunmer raiding Black Marsh for thousands of years in an effort to bring back things they deemed valuable, such as slave labor, livestock and critters.
- Crafting with Netch Leather — Alma Merisan
- Baby Netch and Betty Netch appearances in ESO
- Iron-Claws's dialogue in ESO
- Netch Calf and Betty Netch appearances in Dragonborn
- Talym Rend's dialogue in the mission Meliel's Farm in Isle of Madness
- Frinnius Posuceius's dialogue in Morrowind
- Settling the Debate — Ralevyn Nerano
- The Rear Guard — Tenace Mourl
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: Stonefalls and Deshaan — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Kyne's Challenge: A Hunter's Companion
- Pristine Netch-Hide Handkerchiefs item description in ESO
- Mossy Netch Calf pet description in ESO
- Rosy Netch Calf pet description in ESO
- Loremaster's Archive: Murkmire Q&A — Jee-Lar