Daggerfall:Thieves Guild< Daggerfall: Factions
The Thieves Guild is a joinable faction consisting of an official organized collection of burglars, prostitutes, and other thugs.
The Thieves Guild is just like any other guild — it's just that their particular industry is crime. In practically every borough, hamlet, and city-state in Tamriel, the professional criminals have banded together for mutual protection. Like other guilds, they offer special benefits to members, bribe officials, and punish non-members.
Even though freelancers exist, most professional criminals in Tamriel belong to the Thieves Guild. It is best for the collective whole, and the Guild exerts a certain ... pressure to join. The location of their headquarters in a town is always secret.
Thieves Guild OverviewEdit
To join the Thieves Guild, pick ten or more pockets successfully or break into a store without an Open spell, then wait for a letter. The Guild protects its members and frowns upon freelance thieves. Most quests for the Thieves Guild will involve stealing an item or helping a guild mate. However, none of these quests will involve any Dungeon Crawling.
Your guild rank is determined by a combination of your reputation with the Thieves Guild and your two highest skills associated with the Guild:
|Rank||Rank Title||Reputation||High skill||Low skill|
The following skills are used to determine guild rank:
Advancing in rank within the Thieves Guild affords the following advantages:
|each rank||May bribe the judge. Chance is (Rank + 1) ÷ 20 when accused of theft crimes|
|By acceptance||An undiscovered dungeon is revealed on your map|
|Rank 2||Access to Fence (sell magical items)|
|Rank 4||Access to Spymaster|
|Rank 6||An undiscovered dungeon is revealed on your map|
|Rank 8||An undiscovered dungeon is revealed on your map|
The people of the Iliac Bay may discuss the Thieves Guild if asked:
- "The Thieves Guild is the official organized collection of burglars, prostitutes, and other thugs in the area. Their headquarters is always secret."
- "Even though freelance whoremasters, pickpockets, catburglars, swindlers, and muggers exist, most professional criminals in Tamriel belong to the Thieves Guild. It is best for the collective whole, and the Guild exerts a certain ... pressure to join."
- "In practically every borough, hamlet, and city-state in Tamriel, the professional criminals have bounded together for mutual protection. That's the Thieves Guild for you."
- "The Thieves Guild is just like any other guild -- it's just that their particular industry is crime. They offer special benefits to their members, bribe officials, and punish non-members. Just like any other guild."
The Shadow Appraisers are the fences of the Thieves Guild. They will buy any magical items you need to get rid of.
Appraisers will buy magical items from any member who is at least a Filcher in the Guild. They offer higher base prices than other merchants. The final price for your items is affected by your reputation with the faction.
The Shadow Schemers are the individuals at Thieves Guild guildhalls who offer quests to guild members and dole out rewards for successfully completing them.
Shadow Spies (Spymasters)Edit
The Shadow Spies offer their services as the Thieves Guild's Spymasters to Guildmembers of the appropriate rank. These services are free.
Shadow Trainers are found in every Thieves Guild guildhall. They offer training services in any skill associated with the Guild. The cost of this service is dependent on your character level, 100 gold per level to be precise. As with all skill training, Shadow Trainers can only train a skill up to a maximum of 50%.
Because the cost of a training session depends entirely on your character level, your reputation with the Shadow Trainers will not affect the price of their services.
Shadow Trainers offer training in the following skills:
The following quests are offered by the Thieves Guild:
|General Quests and Information|
|Quest Name||Quest Text||Description||Rank Required|
|Quests for non-members|
|The Qualifying Examination||Become a member of the Thieves Guild.||The qualifying examination for the Thieves Guild.||Not in Guild|
|Quests for members|
|A Hot Stone||Listen, (player's first name), we got one of our family who's in trouble. ...||Pick up a stolen gem from a guild member in a local town.||In Guild|
|Antique Ivory *||(Player's first name), a simple game. ...||Steal some antique ivory from a residence in town.||In Guild|
|Drugs Delivery *||(Player's first name), I got a job for you if you're interested. A little package...||Deliver a package containing drugs to a local in town.||In Guild|
|Arms Supply||Awright, (player's first name), this is a simple sort of assignment. ...||Deliver a weapon to a guild member in a local town.||In Guild|
|A Stolen Gem||Listen, (player's first name), we got one of our family who's in trouble. ...||Pick up a stolen gem from a guild member in a local town.||Rank 1 or Higher|
|A Temple Visit||Got a guild job for ya, if yer innerested. Name is (Shadow Schemer's name). Some guy wants...||Steal a religious item from a regional temple.||Rank 1 or Higher|
|Valuable Artwork||Ho there (player's first name)! You remember me,...||Steal a painting from a residence in a local town.||Rank 1 or Higher|
|The Jewel Heist||Here's somethin' right up your thing. Jewelry heist in the works. ...||Steal some jewelry from a residence in a local town.||Rank 1 or Higher|
|The Noble's Jewelry||We have had our eye on you (player's first name). ...||Steal some jewelry from a palace.||Rank 1 or Higher|
|A Prized Item||Keep your voice down. My name is ... er, just call me (Shadow Schemer's name). ...||Steal a magic item from a residence in a local town.||Rank 2 or Higher|
|Valuable Pages||I have a job. Ordinary guild work. ...||Steal a valuable book from a building in a local town.||Rank 2|
|A Prized Herb||(Shadow Schemer's name) is my name. This one is a little touchy, (player's first name). I have...||Steal a special herb from a residence in a local town.||Rank 2|
|The Rich Merchant||You can call me (Shadow Schemer's name). I have wind of some...||Shake down a rich merchant for a shipment of his belongings.||Rank 2|
|A Treasured Potion||(Player's name), my name is (Shadow Schemer's name). I have a line on a...||Steal a special potion from an alchemist's store in a local town.||Rank 2|
- The Thieves Guild uses rank only and not level to determine which quests may be offered.
- There is a quest available from the Thieves Guild not listed here, to fetch three different items from dungeons. THIEVES GUILD QUEST 2 (O0B40Y13). You have to find the quest items from three different dungeons. NPCs will tell you the first one when you go ask about the news. After finding the first item (make sure you have it in inventory as a quest item), return to the city you get the quest from and ask about news again, until you get the same reply about the first dungeon and the first item. Instead of going to the same dungeon, choose another random dungeon on your map this time though. Maybe near the first one. You should find the second item there. After finding it, return city, ask news, get the same reply about the first dungeon and the first item, choose a third dungeon near the first one. You should find the third item there.
* Quest is only available with CompUSA Special Edition.
Guildhall Map BlocksEdit
Guildhalls of the Thieves Guild appear as otherwise unremarkable buildings. They are automatically marked on your town map once you enter a town for the first time as a member of the Guild, though not every town has a Thieves Guild guildhall. They come in three architectural styles.
- Guildhall style 1 always has two pigs in the fenced front court. More importantly, the building opposite such a guildhall is always an indoor Witch Coven.
- Given the method for joining the Thieves Guild, you cannot join them again after you leave, for whatever reason (be it vampirism or being kicked out). Bethesda has verified this. The issue was never fixed with any official patch.