- Wait 62 to 97 days if you met the atronach in the previous quest, and receive a summons once again via trained raven.
- Meet Baltham Greyman in the town and in the tavern named in the raven's message within the time limit.
- Decide if you want to join him in this adventure.
- If you accept his offer, travel with him to the town he named.
- Enter the town's Mages Guild, steal the map, and exit the guildhall.
- Choose whether you want to get the magical key yourself or let Baltham Greyman do this task.
- If you want to retrieve the magical key yourself, travel to the dungeon where it is located and find it.
- Meet Baltham Greyman within the time limit in the tavern where you previously met him, a few days after stealing the map from the Mages Guild.
- Read (use) the stolen dungeon map with the magical key in your inventory to reveal the location of another dungeon.
- Travel with Baltham Greyman to the dungeon which houses the magical item he seeks, and enter it within the time limit.
- Find and kill a battlemage within this dungeon.
- Recover the item Baltham Greyman seeks from the battlemage's corpse.
- Exit the dungeon, and choose whether you want to give Baltham Greyman the magical item he seeks, or battle him for possession.
Quoth the RavenEdit
Two to three months after the previous quest, a sight catches your eye:
- A shadow flits overhead. A raven circles, cawing out harshly before disappearing into the west: "No time! No time! (Tavern), (Town)!"
If you are interested, make your way to the town and tavern named in the raven's message. The town will always be located in the same region where you received the original quest from the Mages Guild. Head inside the tavern to find your old friend, Baltham Greyman, who says:
- "It was good of you to come. I have a new project that I think you might be interested in. It will involve a little raid on our friends at the Mages Guild, however. What do you say?"
- "I knew you couldn't resist! Here's the plan. For some time now, I have been searching for the location of (item dungeon), reputedly the resting place of a hoard of magical objects, including one (magical item) that I need for my own purposes -- another story for another time. The issue at hand is that I have learned that the Mages Guild of (Guild town) has come into possession of a map to (item dungeon). I still have a few friends in the Guild, despite the official ban against me... The Guild has no idea what they have, so it is up to us to liberate the map so that it can be used to its full potential."
The renegade mage pouts:
- "Have it your way. I thought you and I were friends, that's all."
X Marks the SpotEdit
Travel with him to the town where the Mages Guild is located and enter the guildhall during the opening hours. Find the dungeon map within and grab it; your associate will exclaim:
- "Yes, this is the map!"
As soon as the map is in your possession, some mages will show up to stop you from leaving. Take care of them and exit the guildhall. If this takes too long, Baltham will help out:
- Baltham Greyman raises his staff. "Ladies, gentlemen, we really must be going now." A sphere of light bursts from the staff, blinding you for an instant.
Once you are outside, the renegade mage says:
- "I think it would be best to separate for the time being, to let this hornet's nest calm down a bit. I have one more matter to attend to before we can enter (item dungeon) ... unless you would like to handle it for me?"
- "No matter. I will need, say, (key time limit) days to take care of this business. I will meet you back in (town), at (tavern), when I have acquired the key to (item dungeon). Good luck!"
Simply head back to the tavern where you and Baltham met to begin this quest and wait the specified time for your compatriot to show up.
- "Very well. (Item dungeon) cannot be entered without the key, a (magical key) which I have learned is somewhere in (key dungeon). Once you get the (magical key), meet me in (tavern) in (town), say, in (key time limit) days."
You will not receive any additional reward for performing this task yourself; the only reason to do so is if you wish to do some dungeon crawling (and possibly acquire some random loot). To get the key, travel to the specified dungeon and find it within. This "magical" key will appear as a miscellaneous (and nominally non-magical) item; you will get a notification when you pick it up:
- This must be the (magical key), the key to (item dungeon).
Return to the tavern and wait the specified time for you friend to show up again.
Descent Into the DepthsEdit
Once either of you has found the key and Baltham Greyman has also returned to the tavern, speak to him. He exclaims:
- "With this (magical key) in our possession, we are ready to brave (item dungeon). Lead on, my friend!"
The renegade mage will once again accompany you on this, the final leg of your quest to find the magical item. Read (use) the stolen dungeon map with the magical key in your inventory and the location of the dungeon will be marked on your map. Travel to this dungeon and enter it. Somewhere within lurks a battlemage, who has secretly been tracking your progress in order to get the magical item first. When hit for the first time, the battlemage will shout:
- "You are too late, Baltham Greyman! It was a simple matter to follow you to (item dungeon), once you had found the (magical key) for me. The (magical item) is now mine, and mine alone!"
Since this interloper has already found the item you seek, you must fight to the death for it.
Once the battlemage is dead, loot the corpse to collect Greyman's item of interest, along with a few other magical items, gold, and any remaining loot. With the item in hand, exit the dungeon. Upon setting foot outside, Baltham Greyman asks for his prize, and a prompt appears:
- "Well, friend (player's first name), an enjoyable little jaunt eh? I'll take the (magical item) and be on my way." Do you give the (magical item) to Baltham Greyman?
If you give Baltham Greyman the magical item, he will bid his farewell by saying:
- "Until next time!"
If you refuse, Baltham will be very disappointed by your greed. He will then attempt to kill you to gain possession of his prize, growling angrily:
- "So, your true colors at last. I only asked for one small thing, yet your greed apparently knows no bounds."
Defend yourself and kill him instead.
If you steal the dungeon map, you will lose reputation with the Fighters Guild according to the table below.
Regardless of its final outcome, this quest will not provide any additional reputation gains or losses.
- Random dungeon monsters
- Three Mages as soon as you pick up the dungeon map
- Quest Target: One Battlemage
- One Mage if you don't give Baltham Greyman the magical item
- The time limits for meeting Baltham Greyman the first time, stealing the dungeon map, retrieving the key and meeting Greyman the second time, or for reaching the dungeon where the magical item is located depend on your travel speed.
- This is the final chapter of the three-part quest. You can do these quests as often as they are offered from Guildmagisters of the Mages Guild.
- As with the previous quest, the region where this one takes place is not named by the raven or in your journal; it will again be the same region where the first quest was originally accepted from the Mages Guild.
- Entering the final dungeon without the key is supposed to trigger an event which teleports you to another dungeon, however this does not work as intended
- DFQFIX makes this task work as intended.
- The time limit for stealing the map from the Mages Guild does not activate.
- DFQFIX restores functionality.
- The follower portrait that appears when Baltham Greyman follows you to the Mages Guild does not vanish when you part ways. Thus, his face will always appear on-screen (with an additional portrait appearing when he rejoins you). These will remain visible until the quest ends.
|Former Student Part III (S0000503)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I have received a mysterious summons to (tavern) in (town), I believe by my friend Baltham Greyman.|
|1||(Date): I have agreed to help Baltham Greyman "liberate" a map to (item dungeon) from the Mages Guild of (Guild town).|
|2||(Date): We have retrieved the map. Baltham Greyman has another matter to attend to, so I will meet him back in (tavern) in (key time limit) days.|
|3||(Date): We have retrieved the map. I have offered to go to (key dungeon) to find a special (magical key) which we need to enter (item dungeon). I will meet Baltham Greyman back in (tavern) in (key time limit) days.|
|Prev: Former Student Part II||Next: None|