- A street urchin races up calling "Message for (player's name) from the man in gray." The child runs off before you can grab him, leaving you holding a note.
Find the note in your inventory. It reads:
This quest is entirely optional, and the random attacks will cease after you have survived enough of them. But should you wish to follow up on Elysana's invitation, head to Castle Wayrest for a "chat".
A Chat with ElysanaEdit
Once inside the castle, find and speak to Princess Elysana. She exclaims:
- "You are even more dashing in person than Lord Woodborne said. I just love talking to men and women of action! I know that you're looking for a certain object, (player's first name). A totem pole or something? Well, an acquaintance of mine, a perfectly delightful (contact's description), has something that may help you. If you would escort my cousin (cousin's name) to (contact's name) you can have it. Would you do this teensy weensy favor for me?"
Elysana goes on:
- "How exciting! It will be a real adventure. (Cousin's name) just loves to travel and has been dying to spend some time with (contact's name). Go to (town) of (town's region), to a place called (contact's residence). ( ) will pay you (random gold) gold pieces for bringing (him/her) (cousin's name). Don't you just love these missions?"
Elysana replies, disappointed:
- "No? How dreadful! My poor cousin will be so disappointed. You are not nearly as fun as Lord Woodborne said you would be."
Escorting the CousinEdit
Escort the cousin (who is now following you) to the destination town named by Elysana. The town is located in whichever region you were in when the quest began—that is, when you received any of the letters regarding the Totem and Numidium as a result of the previous quest. Again, you may encounter barbarians and knights on your journey, provided they have not already shown up long before your chat with Elysana.
After you have killed a couple ambushers, Elysana's cousin will cryptically interject:
- (Cousin's name) says "Who were those barbarians? They almost killed you! Maybe you should just forget about Lysandus' ghost."
If you have slain five attackers and are not in fast-travel mode, the cousin flees at sundown:
- (Cousin's name) says "You're much tougher than Elysana said you would be."
- (Cousin's name) suddenly runs away, (his/her) feet making no sound as (he/she) disappears into the shadows.
Regardless of the situation, continue to you destination. Ask around to locate the contact's residence, then enter it and speak to him for your reward.
Speak to the contact; his response depends on whether the cousin is with you or not. If so, the contact greets you with:
- "(Player's first name)! How did...I mean, I'm glad to see you. And (cousin's name) too. Here take the gold. Object? What's a totem? Well, its been nice talking to you. Gotta run!"
If the cousin has run off, the contact has a more interesting tale to tell:
- "(Player's first name), it wasn't my fault! I was hired to set you up! Here, take the (random gold) gold. Some guy in a gray cloak paid me exactly that much to do it. (Cousin's name) was just some whore paid to go with you. You know, I just remembered. I have (bribe gold) gold pieces that are just too heavy to carry anymore. Why don't you take them and I'll just be going."
As soon as you accept the quest your reputation will drop as shown below. Additionally, you will not gain any reputation in the end.
- There is no set time limit for this quest; it will end two days after you have spoken to the contact you are escorting the "cousin" to, or after you have completed the final quest of the Main Quest.
- Elysana's dialogue suggests that this quest was meant to be offered while Lord Woodborne is still alive. However, it does not change if you are offered the quest after completing Lysandus' Revenge.
- According to the game's questfile and various patches, it was intended that you escort the "cousin" to a random common NPC of the region. However, for unknown reasons the contact will always show up as a "majestic orc" named Gortwog in the end.
- The barbarians and knights begin attacking as soon as you have received the initial threatening letter. However, you still will receive the cousin's dialogue after killing the ambushers even if you haven't yet met with Elysana.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "A crowd of shady characters was here a while ago, looking for a (player's race) mercenary."
- "Princess Elysana been spending a lot of time in the Wayrest wilderness, I hear."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Hear about the gang that ambushed that (player's race)? Funny business that, if you ask me."
- "Those guys who ambushed that (player's race) weren't from around here. Hired assassins."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Hear some mystery man is hiring assassins to kill a certain (player's race) mercenary."
- "(Contact's name) was mad as can be. You'd think be happy to see (his/her) cousin."
|Elysana's Betrayal (S0000009)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): Princess Elysana has asked me to escort her cousin (cousin's name) to (town) of (town's region) to meet (contact's name). () will pay me (random gold) gold, and give me something relative to the Totem.|
|Prev: The Mantella Revealed||Up: Main Quest||Next: None|